Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The calm in the midst of the storm

It really was storming today. But I've decided that I love Tuesdays. These are the days I have my guitar lessons, which means a few things. First, I have a reason to leave work early. If I didn't, I would get stuck in traffic and be late...which is unacceptable for me. Second, I get to learn more on the guitar. My teacher really is great, he's taught me a lot in such a short period of time. Apparently I know a few songs...but when I play them it doesn't sound quite right (yet). It'll get there.

I think the thing I like most about my guitar lessons is that it gives me an excuse to take public transportation into the city on a weekday, during rush hour. To most people, this would probably be pretty aggravating: waiting for the metro with hundreds of other people, transferring lines, standing up in crowded cars standing next to different people who all have their own funny smells...but I love it.

It's me time. I could not tell you one thought that I had on the journeys to Dupont Circle and back. Honestly, I just tried to remember what I was thinking, but am unable to do so. It's great. Even walking in the rain and thunder did not phase me. Others complained, I embraced the wetness. It was nice relief from the brutal humidity that made me noticeably short of breath.

This evening was even the first time I noticed I wasn't paying attention to anyone else on the train, I was solely focused on myself and my own being. It was peaceful...a feeling I can't quite place, nor do I want to - there's no need to name it. But it made my heart feel good. I listened to KT Tunstall. Although I'm not sure what prompted this, it really made for the perfect soundtrack of the ride. If you haven't listened to Throw Me a Rope or Universe & U, then please do so now.

Madeline and I reflecting on our reflections in the sculpture garden. We also visited Yoko Ono's Wish Tree for DC, where we saw people's wishes on display for public viewing:


And our own...




I have such great people in my life who are willing to come out and visit me. I am so extremely grateful for all of you. I even think I will have another guest this weekend. :)

1 comment:

  1. I felt so at ease reading your entry today while listening to Throw Me A Rope. I am feeling under the weather today so that little shout out made me feel a little better.

    love you Crystalina!

    ReplyDelete