Thursday, July 30, 2009

How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.

The title of this blog is a quote by Coco Chanel that I've always enjoyed. I want to be someone, and I'm at the point in my life where I'm starting to figure out who I want that person to be.

I've been in a funk lately. Not the fun, funky funk, but it's ugly step-sister, stuck in a rut kind of funk. I'm not sure how to get out of it. I chalk it up to a quarter-life crisis.

You know that saying, "If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life?" Well, I've been working for about seven months now. And it's work. I've begun to realize that although I have a challenging role, a hefty amount of responsibility, and a decent sized paycheck, it's not something I believe in. I am not passionate about this type of work. Now, the questions I must ask myself are: What do I believe in? What am I passionate about?

To those questions I have no answers...yet. Although I am working towards finding them. It's something I must do, or else I think the build up that I feel growing in my chest will get so big that it will eventually clog my throat. I think that's what they call feelings of anxiety.

I don't want anyone to think I am complaining about the situation I'm currently in - because I am not. Like I mentioned, I do have a job...and for that reason alone I can consider myself lucky. The people I work with are great, and the company is giving me an amazing opportunity with different rotations within my field. I'm really not complaining.

I could go on...but I don't want to. It just makes me feel more stuck.

The funny thing about a blog that I can't decide if I like or not is the ability to erase my thoughts so easily. In my journal, I may cross things out, or start writing a sentence that makes me pause for a moment to think of how I should finish. But just now, about 5 minutes ago, I started writing something, then realized I didn't like where it was going, and just highlighted the text and deleted it. If I had my Staples "Easy" button, I could hit it right now and it would say "that was easy!" because it is. No one reading this would know that I had originally planned on trying to change the tone of this blog into something more positive by thinking of things that I did like about myself and my life. But I realized that was a somewhat rough transition, and honestly, I was drawing somewhat of a blank (probably due to my current mood), so I deleted. Then I was going to write a little bit about the person I am now, and the person I want to become. That didn't work out either. It amazes me how I have no problem constantly uplifting others, while being the first one to put my own self down. I'm a work in progress...what can I say?

These thoughts I'm having are ones that I try not to drown in - I keep them at the shallow end of the pool in my mind. Normally, I am repulsed by such negative energy...so I try not to think like this too often anymore, at an attempt not to find my own self repulsive.

I didn't re-read anything I just wrote, and to be quite honest, I'm not sure if any of it even makes a whole lot of sense. Next blog will be much happier. I guess that is one good quality about me - I'm an optimist! :)

4 comments:

  1. CRYSTAL! i hear you... really. i've been feeling the same funk, the same anxiety, trying not to drown in a similarly well-paid, "grown up" but empty job. and some days it's easy, but a lot of days it's hard. i'm struggling too, and today happens to be a day where i woke up and mentally bitch-slapped myself and convinced myself to have a great day. so far, so good =) and you ARE an optimist, and a bright, beautiful soul, so there's no way these negative days / feelings can go on too long.

    i could go on... and on, because i've been trying to write through and get through all of the shit that you are... but suffice to say, i totally understand =) have a great weekend, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we all need to go on vacation. together.

    remember what we talked about, crys... every day's a learning opportunity for the future you really want! :)

    smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you both for your support! love you both :)

    and as for that vacation? what about SD maybe in January?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystalina-
    As we spoke about it before, you have the support from the people that love you and as you can see, we are all in the same boat.

    i loved talking the other day. it got me excited to think about what our passions are about. everything happens for a reason and we'll figure out what those reasons are soon enough.

    the glass is half full!

    ReplyDelete