Monday, July 27, 2009

Miss (ir)responsible

I'm dogsitting for five whole days. I've often joked with others that I can hardly take care of myself, let alone another living thing, but here I am. At the ripe age of 24 years young, I am still trying to form the good habits of keeping my room tidy, paying my bills on time, and remembering to take my clothes out of the dryer. I often wonder if good habits are just as easy to form as bad habits. They just must require attention to form. Maybe I'll test this theory out by starting to make my bed every morning, or cleaning my bathroom weekly. Baby steps. But I digress, for the next few days, I will focus on the pooch.

Having a dog in the apartment brings up all kinds of thoughts to my mind. How often do I need to take him out to pee? (Should I have taken him out right before bed? Maybe I'll bring him out when I'm done writing...) Is it bad that I don't like touching his wet, chew toys with my hands? (Instead I usually kick the ball for him to go fetch) What is he always sniffing on the ground? And most importantly, is it as awkward as I think it is for him to walk in on me when I'm naked in my room, or going to bathroom?


I took Sammy on a run today - I thought it would be good for both of us to get out and stretch our legs. After all, I had been sitting at a desk all day, and he had been sitting in his cage. We frolicked in a field by my usual running trail. I was listening to my ipod, and he was moving back and forth in every which way sniffing leaves and grass, so I decided that was his way of dancing with me to my music. I bounced around him, zigging when he zagged, zagging when he zigged. It was great fun. And then I found a dog park right next to that field. I must pause here and say that I've run on that same trail many times, while never realizing this existed. How can I be so oblivious to my surroundings? I must make an effort to be more aware when I run - if I focus too much on the task at hand, it makes the exercise oh so much harder. Focusing on the beauty around me helps relax my mind while working my body. He made some friends, and we ended up running / walking back - the way it ended, I was actually pulling him along. He was one exhausted, parched, hot dog.



I bought a lucky bamboo about a month ago to make our apartment more alive. I placed it on the counter, and did a poor job watering it. Now, I did not intend to see this live bamboo shoot turn to a light shade of brown, which eventually started to grow into darker shades. I genuinely forgot about it. How can I be so wrapped up in my own life that I forgot to pour a few ounces of water into a glass to keep the plant thriving? Am I really that irresponsible? Now, in a last chance effort to play God, I placed the bamboo on the fireplace mantle by the window so it can get some natural sunlight, and I check its water level daily. I'm hoping for a miracle now. I'm trying not to compare the bamboo to the dog. I have remembered to feed him at every feeding time, and right now I will be taking him out for a potty break before we hit the hay. I am thankful that my friend trusted me to live up to this responsibility. I will not fail!

Sweet dreams!

1 comment:

  1. love the blog lady! keep it going because I am thoroughly enjoying catching up on your life. Thank you for putting me up to this as well. Please put a "subscription" gadget so that I can follow your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete