Thursday, July 23, 2009

total eclipse of the heart

A day later, I still feel a little jipped that this part of the world did not get to experience the awe-inspiring sight of a solar eclipse this time around. I actually have a friend volunteering in India these days, so she got to see it - so at least someone in my life got to see it. The total solar eclipse 2009 was the longest this century, lasting over 6 minutes. And there won't be another that lasts that long until 2132...looks like I missed my chance to see it.

I remember in third grade there was one, and we made light refractors out of paper towel rolls and little mirrors so we could view it. Rumor had it that if you looked directly at it you would go blind. I can't lie, I snuck a peak. Look at me now! It probably did the opposite and made my eyes better...no contacts needed.

It would have been quite a sight, that's right...if I could have seen it yesterday.

Speaking of the Sun, it apparently hasn't had much activity going on - it must be in some kind of funk, first of all with letting the moon overshadow it for 6 whole minutes, and now not bursting out as much. Or maybe it's just calming down - letting the moon have the spotlight for a while. I wonder if they're friends or enemies. I think they are definitely friends. They cooperate well with each other, the sun allowing the moon to start appearing and to guide us through the night until the dawn, when the moon tips his hat to the sun who begins to show us the light of day again.

Oh, what a heavenly relationship.

I should also take time to thank Jupiter, because without it, that earth-sized comet that was sucked in by it's strong gravitational pull might have destroyed us. So, we've got some really sincere thank you cards to write to the big red guy.

I'm really full of love today. I feel like it's directed at nothing and everything at the same time.

1 comment: