Monday, July 20, 2009

i'm bananas for bananas!

I really am. I average about one a day, but today I ate two...I'm also bananas for blueberries, cherries, and strawberries. And avocados, but I've never really been sure if that's a fruit or a vegetable...but I eat about one of those a day as well. I actually feel kind of bad for the grapes and clementines that are sitting in the bottom drawer of my refrigerator, because they don't get eaten as fast as my favorite fruits. After just getting home from a salsa class (the dance, but don't even get me started on the food, because I love that just as much as I love my favorite fruit), I went right past the grapes and into my new bag of cherries. I dumped enough to fill up a whole bowl. And that's what I'm doing right now.

When it was 7-8-09, I decided to complete the phrase and make a list of 10 things for which I am grateful. They are, in random order:

1. Sunshine and summertime
2. My family and friends - the people all over the country whom I am ME when I am with them, and they accept and love me
3. Hot vinyasa yoga
4. Jason Mraz
5. flip flops and dresses - sometimes together, sometimes not
6. The opportunities that I've been given to travel and experience life in this world
7. My dreams/imagination/attempts at creativity
8. Health in body, mind and soul
9. Fruit
10. Love <3

Of course there are more than 10 things that I'm grateful for. Those just happened to be the ten on my mind that night. I try to show my appreciation for people and things all around me. - to the point where I get a feeling of guilt if I don't thank someone for holding a door open for me. I don't understand why I would even hesitate to show my gratitude for someone acknowledging my presence and accommodating me. It's a great gesture.

Remember how I said I'm thankful for the the travel opportunities I have been given? Well, another one has been bestowed upon me recently, and I get to travel to Costa Rica. This is for nothing in particular, except to escape life for a while, and leave my footprint in the sands of the exotic country. I am a Central American Virgin, and am extremely happy that Costa Rica will be the one to pop my cherry. I have always wanted to go - so why not go? I tend to use any excuse to travel to do so, to the point where my parents say it can get irresponsible. But I'm just trying to do all the things I want to do with my life...and why wait?! I really do love being a tourist - the way you look at things in a community where people live and experience on a daily basis can be so moving. Since I recently moved to the DC area, I still feel like a tourist, and I hope I never lose that feeling. I have spoken with people who have lived here their entire lives, and just walk by the nation's capitol as if it's another building. The White House is not everywhere, my friend! I strive to look at the world around me in awe, as when tourists do when they're experiencing it for the first time.

But anyways, I really do love fruit.


In joy and cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment