Friday, April 9, 2010

that's the way the world keeps happening. be interested in it.

I almost brought my laptop to the couch with me as I was watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. Then realized I didn't want that much stimulation all at once. I had my phone by my side, watching TV, and that was enough for me - how much can I divide my attention?! Not that much. Usually when I pull out my laptop, my attention is no longer focusing on the TV, and it becomes background fuzz.

Today I went for a 5 mile run. Which is actually one of my shorter runs these days. It was windier than usual, and I found myself thinking how the breeze feels so much stronger when I'm running against it. On my way back, however, the extra push it gave me was so much more gratifying. I felt like I earned that push!

Speaking of running, I'm still committed to my marathon training. I'm running a 10 mile race on Sunday for the Cherry Blossom Festival. I'm looking forward to it?! I'm ready to see how prepared I am. If I suck, hopefully it will serve as the metaphorical wind to give me that extra push to train a little harder.

Running has begun to take up more and more time. Not only do I set aside time for the actual running, but I need to plan when I eat beforehand, I need to make sure to potty, so as to not worry about it while on the trail, and then of course after the run I spend time stretching and showering.

It's a good experience. Training has been challenging, and at times my body is extremely achey, but overall I am grateful that I am even able to put one foot in front of the other every day.

Friday night for me included purging clothes and drinking wine. Oh, and a bowl of popcorn. I've been trying to finish my book that I've been reading, which is sooo good. I think it keeps getting better and better. But I just get sucked in to watching Youtube or Ted.com videos, or perusing craigslist for apartments, looking at facebook pictures, etc. etc.

Tonight, I've become enthralled with this beautiful, heart-filling, big-smiling, tear-welling chorus.

Just a few videos that I loved:

Zebra - Beach House
Joga - Bjork (this is still one of my favorites)
Stay Awake - from Mary Poppins
Empire State of Mind - Alicia Keys and Jay-Z

I watched more. I could probably spend hours watching these amazing children. I sincerely hope this is being done across America. You can see in their expressions and movements how much singing that song really means to them. You can't argue that when cutting the funding for arts in schools...Bravo, dear teacher. You are saluted by yet another big fan.

Now I will read. And go to bed, heart singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment